Running a Java Program

Hi,

    Today I came across this weird behaviour in the
Sun JRE that is not present in gij. Consider these:
------------------------- 8< ----------------------------
public class A
{
  public static void main( String[] args)
  {
    System.out.println( "Hello World!");
  }
}
------------------------- 8< ----------------------------
public class B extends A
{
}
------------------------- 8< ----------------------------

Compile these files to bytecode.

If I run "java B" Sun's JRE (both 1.3.1 and 1.4.2)
goes ahead and runs the main( ) from class A!

If I run "gij B" it (rightly, IMHO) prints out:

    no suitable method `main' in class

This is also rejected by Oracle's new JDeveloper 10g preview
while the older version allowed this to happen (that's
how I discovered it).

What do you guys think is the correct behaviour?
Should we bother emulating Sun in this even though
it is not even documented in the main "java"
tool documentation?

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew          Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.      Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/