Re: Platform-Specific Sourcefiles?

On Oct 10, 2003, at 3:34 PM, Mohan Embar wrote:

I've asked this question before, but never got a
response: Is it possible / desirable to put multipurpose,
platform-specific helper classes in their own
sourcefiles in order to avoid win32.* and
posix.* becoming too monolithic? How would this
work from a configure.in / Makefile.am standpoint?

It might make sense to divide them up a little bit further - for example posix-io.cc / win32-io.cc containing platform IO functions - file descriptor stuff, etc would probably be good. But, we don't really want too many platform specific source files - every file you add adds to the library's build time (and the native files generally take a good deal longer to compile than the average .java file).

The most important consideration in my opinion is how clean the design is and how easily it is to find stuff. So, if there are a bunch of functions that are platform specific and clearly fit into a certain category, eg I/O, or share a bunch of common resources etc, then we should consider an extra file for them.

There must be a more elegant way to do this than
to unconditionally compile such files and surround
them by #ifdef WIN32...#endif guards.

Yep.

Regards

Bryce.