Re: libtool linking libgcj

On Oct  8, 2003, Andrew Haley <aph@redhat.com> wrote:

> Nicholas S. Wourms writes:

>> What about splitting them up into 5 or 6 convenience libraries?

> Okay, but it would be some considerable work, and how much improvemnt
> should I expect?  Why would splitting the library help?

It would avoid piecewise linking and huge command lines, except on
systems whose linkers don't support --whole-archive or equivalent, in
which libtool would have to extract the archives and then do piecewise
linking.

An unfortunate side effect of convenience libraries is that you end up
with PIC in static libraries created out of them.  Creating both PIC
and non-PIC convenience libraries is a missing feature in libtool.