Re: libtool linking libgcj

Andrew Haley wrote:

> When linking libgcj, the libtool shell script consumes more than two
> minutes of CPU time on my box, a 1200MHz processor.  This is a lot
> more time than the link itself takes.
>
> I'm coming to the conclusion that this is no longer tolerable.  Many
> people don't have boxes anything like as fast as mine.  We really are
> going to have to find a better way to do things than this.
>
> Andrew.

What about splitting them up into 5 or 6 convenience libraries?

For those of us on Cygwin, what would *really* be nice if we could update to
libtool-1.5.x+, which would allow us to build shared versions.  I think you
will also find the performance better for linking large amounts of objects
(well I noticed a difference when KDE went from using the gcc version of
libtool to the new libtool).  In either case, I think reverting to a
non-libtool build would hamper portability and probably cause more trouble
then good.

It really is time to update the config templates to use more "modern"
versions of the autotools.  3.4 really shouldn't be frozen without this
having been done, as I know the older autotools scripts are hampering the
build of shared libraries on a number of platforms.

Cheers,
Nicholas