invokespecial on abstract method

>>> I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for Sun to make their VM fully evaluate
>>> all linkage before running anything, if they wanted to do that. But by
>>> design, Java doesn't.

In terms of optimizing performance/footprints ahead-of-time, is there a cost
associated to late linking? I somehow guess there is. More likely than not, this
strategy of late linking may complicate other ongoing efforts that focus on these
optimizations.

There may be enormous advantages in doing exactly the opposite of what Sun does.

When competing with the JDK, it may exactly be this different set of trade-offs,
better attuned to particular situations, that could attract a sizeable following to
GCJ.