Is there a compilable SOAP implementation?

Hi,

I am looking for a complete SOAP implementation that has successfully compiled
with gcj.  I have been trying to get Apache Axis to compile:

If I try to compile log4j-1.2.8.jar:

org/apache/log4j/AppenderSkeleton.java: In class
`org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton':
org/apache/log4j/AppenderSkeleton.java: In method
`org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton.finalize()':
org/apache/log4j/AppenderSkeleton.java:115: error: class
'org.apache.log4j.AppenderSkeleton' has no method named 'close'
 matching signature '()V'
org/apache/log4j/AppenderSkeleton.java:126: confused by earlier errors,
bailing out

I will also encounter a ton of "cannot find file for class ..." when trying to
compile axis.jar and the rest.  Axis seems to reference a huge number of
external libraries. (IBM's crypto from its own Java, activation, mailapi,
servlet, jimi, jsse, jms, httpunit, and a plethora of others I have yet to
locate).  Since I can use the axis package by itself without all these other
libraries, must I truely collect them all and place them in the classpath
before this will compile, or can I just get and compile the axis package by
itself somehow? (axis.jar/log4j/saaj/wsdl4j/commons-loggin/commons-discovery)
?

Has anyone been successful with this?

Thanks.