Re: Call Java methods from VB and C/C++

On Wednesday, Oct 1, 2003, at 11:29 Pacific/Auckland, Glenn Lewis wrote:

Can anyone tell me if it is possible to call java
methods  from Visual Basic (and C/C++)? I need to be
able to pass (sometimes complex) data to these java
methods.

I doubt you'd be able to call into compiled Java code directly from VB (through JNI you might, but not CNI). However, you could do it with an intermediate C++/CNI layer between the VB and Java code. Note the C++ code would have to be compiled with GCC.

I thought I might be able to use gcj and cygwin to
build a dll and link against that dll from VB.  I got
as far as creating a simple dll, but am having trouble
using it from VB (and C/C++). I came across this post
http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-04/msg00004.html Has
anything changed since then or is this still not
possible?

AFAIK, DLL support on Windows hasn't improved since then. The new BC-ABI will help this along. But, it might work if you compiled your intermediate code into the DLL along with the Java stuff, and then exported the symbols for your own functions.

Regards

Bryce.