serverside programs

>>>Assuming no bugs in blackdown-jdk

I doubt there are such drastic bugs.

So, the fact that garbage collection is active, does not mean that the code could not
be full of memory leaks. A java serverside program can bring down your machine (or
else its own process), no sweat; and given the starting footprint (tens of megabytes)
and the speed at which numerous heap-based objects tend to get created, way much
easier than native programs.

I've replaced the java emailserver with (native) qmail; and memory consumption hasn't
budged since. In my opinion, gcj needs options to reduce starting footprint
drastically, and then an option that introduces more predictable memory
de-allocation. Otherwise how can we recommend writing serverside applications like
qmail in Java to other people?