Re: XAWT: First useable (visible) results...

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

@Per Bothner: Even using GTK as underlaying layer for GTK doesnt help to make apps look like native.

It does if you're running on Gnome. As Gtk/Gnome is the preferred GNU GUI framework, it is the first priority for GCJ, a GNU project. Running GCJ applications on Windows (say) is valuable, but is not the primary goal of the GCJ project - though of course we welcome help from people for whom it *is* the primary focus!

Because AWT only has few widgets and all modern java-toolkits are lightweight.

Not quite. SWT uses native widgets when it can, and there are good reasons for doing so. Why try to emulate Gnome look-and-feel when you can get it correctly and easily by using the Gnome libraries?

I´m sure someday there also will be a free SWING implementation - there are already many other free lightweight-tolkits - awt-widgets will be obsolete. Then GTK will only be a layer which will slow down drawing.

Whatever overhead might be caused by using Gtk instead of Xlib directly is uninteresting on modern PC-class machines. In fact, it is quite possible that using Gtk will be faster, even ignoring issues of whether Java is as fast as C, just because more people are working on Gtk performance than are likely to work on AWT-for-GCJ-on-Xlib performance.

The value of AWT-for-GCJ-on-Xlib is for limited-memory limited-CPU
devices, but for a GNU/Linux desktop running Gnome on a modern
PC-class machine I believe AWT-on-Gtk would be better.  If nothing
else, it's more mature.

However, I don't want to discourage you from AWT-on-Xlib.  It is
useful (even if I don't think it is *as* useful), and your results
so far are encouraging!
--
	--Per Bothner