Re: Working on Kaffe/X-AWT port...

Clemens Eisserer wrote:

Why? My bindings only will create event, font and drawing funktions, the whole painting-process itself is done in java.

If you want to have a consistent look-and-feel as "native applications", support run-time theme switching (controlled by the standard Gnome theme manager), integrate properly with window managers, handle drag-and-drop, access more modern font handlers than the primitive X fonts, etc etc, then that's a hell of a lot of Java code, and it's impossible to keep it all consistent with the native Gnome environment.

But, as far as I know, LGPL allows linking into commercial code?

Yes, but there are certain requirements on being able to re-link the commcerial code with the LGPL library. Using shared libraries has historically been consider an acceptable way to satisfy the requirement. However, on embedded systems you don't normally have shared libraries, and re-linking is difficult to support.

So LGPL libraries are unlikely to be acceptable for an
proprietary embedded system.
--
	--Per Bothner