Re: solib: URL patch

Jeff Sturm writes:
 > On Wed, 13 Aug 2003, Andrew Haley wrote:
 > > Tom Tromey writes:
 > >  >
 > >  > This restriction will be lifted once we move to the new ABI.  Then we
 > >  > will be able to load .so files privately (instead of RTLD_GLOBAL).
 > >
 > > Uh, we've decide this for sure, have we?  I mean, it sounds like a
 > > good idea, but have you dot a solid design in mind?  We still need a
 > > mechanism that will allow us to call .so files from CNI code, I guess.
 >
 > Does there need to be any CNI mechanism for this?  Or is Java's
 > Class.forName() etc. adequate to load/invoke the solib?

I wouldn't have thought so, no.  At present we have a direct way of
invoking Java methods in a shared object from C++ code; do we want to
destroy that ability?

Unless, as was suggested, we alter the C++ compiler to use the
indirect dispatch scheme...

 > For my 2 cents, I like this patch a lot.  My only nit is that the
 > name "solib:" is a bit peculiar.  It refers to the defacto suffix
 > naming of shared libraries on ELF targets (which are quite common
 > now, I admit).
 >
 > I'd marginally prefer "sharedlib:" over "solib:".

DSO is becoming the de facto name, AFIAA.  "dso:" might be best of
all.