Re: gcc backend that can be interpreted by a java program?

Adam> Why?  I need to run Freetype2 (very clean ANSI C, no external
Adam> dependencies) in an all-Java environment.  JNI/CNI are not an option.

I think there's an MMIX back end around somewhere.  This is a fake
assembly language invented by Knuth.  Dunno how hard it would be to
write a simulator for it.  That's my best guess for this sort of
thing.

It would be possible to compile C to java bytecode with a lot of
runtime support.  Per had a plan for this some years back, though we
might not have ever released it.

But then you're talking not only the java runtime code (which could be
100% java if you didn't care about efficiency), but also a new gcc
backend, which is likely to be hard.