RE: java.net.InetAddress

>Out of interest, why do you want to know the local IP address in any
>case?

Same reason I'd want to do it in C or C++? ;-)

Seriously, so I can register an endpoint for my service into a nameserver?
Say an IOR into a NameServer, or write a CORBA IOR into a file, or publish
it
with datagrams or ...

I've been bitten by this - the Orbix NameService we've been using (not quite
moved all to TAO yet) will publish localhost if its the first entry in
the hosts file.  Which means you connect to the name service, but the
nodes in the naming tree all claim to be on localhost.  Doh!