Re: --disable-nls vs. libiconv

> Jeff> a) looks like the current behavior, but I don't remember if this
> Jeff> was a deliberate choice or not.
>
> I don't think it was.  I don't remember thinking about --disable-nls
> at all.

I think PR java/2812 could explain this a bit. I'm guessing that
AM_ICONV is SNAFU-ing slightly on the submitter's build machine.

Whether iconv( ) is used or not when --disable-nls is specified
depends on what *exactly* we take this configure option to
mean - does it only mean that the compiler messages would be in
the standard US-English or even that the compiler cannot parse
non-ASCII files.

The latter might not augur well with what Java compilers are
supposed to be able to do, AFAICT.

My 2p.

Ranjit.