Re: gcj and jikes

 --- Ranjit Mathew wrote:

> Have you guys seen the Pizza compiler?
> ..
> and of special interest, its "daughter compiler" GJ:
>
>     http://www.research.avayalabs.com/user/wadler/gj/index.html

Thanks for your mail. At the moment there's only minmal consensus about
the fact that it's worth to switch the front end. It has been questioned
whether jikes is the right choice because of missing generics support and
it has been suggested that it's worth to wait for a complete generics
implementation in one of the available front ends. At the end of the day
I always get the impression that jikes will be the only viable alternative
because of it's widespread use, it's proven reliability compiling big java
projects and the convenience of attaching it to gcj, see:

  http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-04/msg00383.html

Do others share this impression?

Sounds great, considering http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/java/2003-04/msg00391.html

> As a layman, I certainly find the Jikes source code to be far
> more readable and understandable than the parse.y in the GCJ
> front-end, but that could simply be because I haven't had any
> experience in writing parsers beyond my undergraduate days.

You're not alone. That's exactly one of the reasons why it does
make sense to switch the front end.

Jörg

Bis zu 100 MB Speicher bei http://premiummail.yahoo.de