Should this work? A gij question

I am running gcc 3.2.3 on RedHat 7.2. I am attempting to understand
the capabilities of gij wrt to running compiled and interpreted code
together. I created a simple test that involves two classes: one I
compiled to a .o file the other I compiled to a .class file. Here is
the class I compiled to .o

import java.io.* ;

public class Hello2 {
    public Hello2() { System.out.println("My hello2 class prog"); }
}

Here is the main class which I compiled to .class

import java.io.*;

public class Hello {
    public Hello() { System.out.println("My hello classprog"); }
	Hello hello = new Hello();
	Hello2 hello2 = new Hello2();
    }
}

Since gij 3.2.3 and before does not have a classpath argument, I tried
two ways to get this simple program to run in gij.
1. I put the directory containing  Hello2.o in my CLASSPATH variable
and then typed
gij Hello
in the directory containing Hello.class

I got a ClassNotFoundException: Hello2.

2. I created a jar file containing Hello.class and Hello2.o with an
appropriate manifest and typed
gij -jar Hello.jar

I got a different link error.

Should it be possible to run this "hybrid" example? If so, what am I
doing wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff
----