Re: gcj: accessing environment variables

Erik,

>I was going to read an environment variable MYPERSONALENVVAR and I tried
>to access its value with System.getenv(), until I discovered that
>System.getenv() throws a "deprecated" exception, and that I should use
>System.getProperty() instead.
>
>Then I tried to read System.getProperty("MYPERSONALENVVAR"), just to get
>a null in return.
>
>Does anybody know how I can get hold of environment variables in gcj?

Standard practice for passing system environment variables through to Java
is through a formalism like this:

Unix : java -DMYPERSONALENVVAR=$MYPERSONALENVVAR MyClass
Win32: java -DMYPERSONALENVVAR=%MYPERSONALENVVAR% MyClass

You can then get at the environment variable via System.getProperty("MYPERSONALENVVAR")

For gcj-generated executables, why not just pass the system environment variable
as a command line parameter?

-- Mohan
http://www.thisiscool.com/
http://www.animalsong.org/