Re: Adding another configuration feature to libjava for arm-elfmetal configurations

On Wed, 2003-04-30 at 09:05, Øyvind Harboe wrote:
> I've been able to compile a CygWin arm-elf toolchain
> and produce my first GCJ compiled Java program. I've also
> debugged it from the arm emulator. :-)

Great!

> If I can get down to ~500k code(which goes into flash) and
> 100k RAM(for all variables), I'm going to attempt to reopen the
> discussion on whether to use Java in the box. Is this completely
> unrealistic, or should I give it a try?

Well, anything is possible!  Somebody once had gcj-built apps running on
a LegoMindstorm with only 32k RAM.  Of course, they did this by
completely replacing the runtime library with a very limited tiny
version.

Back in the early days we had little apps running in ~500k (text and
data) on an embedded MIPS platform.  I think the easiest way to get
there again is to start stripping functionality out from libgcj.  I
would start by eyeballing linker maps to see if there are any obviously
large chunks that can be removed for your application.

AG