Re: gcj and jikes

Tom Tromey wrote:
Basically, I think we're behind the curve on the front end.  Even if
jikes never implements generics, using it as the front end would be a
noticeable improvement for users.  On top of that, jikes is simply a
better base to build on.  I find the code cleaner and easier to
follow.

My concern is we switch to a Jikes-based front-end. Then 1.5 comes out, but no-one gets around to implementing the new features. However, someone else does implement the new features in some other Free compiler, at which point we have to consider switching again.

Of course this is all hypothetical.  We don't know what will be
in JDK 1.5, and while there have been some statements (hints)
from Sun, none of these have been accompanied by anything close
to a semi-final specification.
--
	--Per Bothner
per at bothner dot com   http://per.bothner.com/