syntax errors in comments?

I'm getting a ton of "malformed UTF-8 character." errors compiling my code. Once I started digging in I realized all these errors were things like copyright signs and at (@) signs in comments...all in comments. If I can't put an @ sign in my comments how can I build javadocs? Why is the compiler even reading the comments?

gcj 3.2.2 from the sunfreeware packages on a Sol8 machine.

--
Joe Reid
jreid at vnet dot net