Help needed with SEH exception handler (not really Win32 specific)

Hi,

    I'm stuck with what is essentially the same problem in trying
to fix the SEH issues in both the GC as well as the libgcj
win32_exception_handler( ) method, and I hope someone can shed
some insights into it - how do I restart execution after a fault in
a robust manner, while still being able to indicate to the OS
that I have taken care of the error? I'll try to clarify this
problem below, but before I do, I must note that the setjmp/longjmp
based approach that is taken in this mail:

suffers from the same problem as our current win32_exception_handler( )
in that execution "sneaks out" from the handler and the OS is
not returned a value indicating whether the handler was able to
resolve the error or not.

The simplest case is trying to emulate the following construct:

    __try {
      return 0;     /* Normal return value */
    } __except {
      return 666;   /* Abnormal return value */
    }

As might be recalled, I could install/uninstall my own handler, say,
snafu_handler( ) using simple inline assembly in GCC. So the handler
gets control when, say, an access violation (SEGV) happens.

The problem is that the handler must arrange for the *original method*
to return "666" and yet be able to return a value to the OS
indicating that the exception has been taken care of (by returning
"ExceptionContinueExecution", which restarts the execution at the
instruction that caused the fault).

What I *do* have is a "struct _CONTEXT" that is passed to the
handler, which represents a snapshot of all the registers at the time
of the fault - if I modify this context, the changes are reflected
back in the thread when execution is restarted at the "faulty"
instruction (the PC itself can be changed to point to a different
location).

My first approach was to try to set the PC to a label in the function,
but this is not at all allowed by GCC.

My second approach was to try to set the PC to the address of a
"trampoline" dummy function that merely returns the desired
value. However, this dummy function's prologue/epilogue are
unnecessarily executed and (more importantly) the epilogue in
the original function is skipped, so the stack does not have
consistent call frames.

The situation gets more complicated (as I see it) for the
general exception handler function (win32_exception_handler( ))
and the MAKE_THROW_FRAME approach in the libgcj Linux
code would not (again, as I see it) work.

Is there something blindingly obvious that I'm missing? Have
any of you ever faced such a situation before?

And much thanks in advance if you're able to help me out of
this. :-)

Ranjit.

--
Ranjit Mathew               Email: rmathew AT hotmail DOT com

Bangalore, INDIA.           Web: http://ranjitmathew.tripod.com/