RE: Need Feedback: Technical Questions Regarding GCC/GCJ 3.3 Buildunder MSYS/MingW

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003, Erik Poupaert wrote:
> It's a bit unfortunate, however, that the arguments in favour are not
> necessarily obvious to me or quite a few other people, even though they have
> the benefit of the doubt.

Nor are the drawbacks obvious, when shared libraries are done right.

Consider glibc.  I have, for instance, an Oracle installation linked
against 2.1 that runs flawlessly on 2.2.  The developers understand ABI
compatibility, and use the appropriate mechanisms (symbol versioning,
sonames, explicit dependencies, etc.)

This "DLL Hell" is a simple matter of engineering... solutions do exist.

> None of this is self evident.

This was a thread about libtool.  I'm interested in constructive ideas on
how libgcj/libtool can interact better.  I didn't get any ideas from your
post.

Shared libgcj builds aren't going away, nor are static builds probably.
There are still legitimate reasons to require a static build, for instance
on targets with severe memory constraints.

Jeff