Re: Want to help integrating swing. Is already someone working onit?

Hi Cedric,

> Legal: why not?
GPL? The question should be: is it legal to _try_ to implement Swing on
top of SWT (in the hypothetical case that it is remotely possible) and
include it into GNU.

> Possible: No.
O o.

> Why: Swing is too flexible to be built on top of another complex toolkit.
> Cedric
How come? I am not talking about accessibility support or any descendent
of JComponent. Please kill this illusion of me :D. I was aiming at the
core of Swing to start with: UIManager, UIDefaults, JRootPane,
JGlassPane, JWindow, JFrame, JComponent, JLayeredPane, SwingUtilities.

Don't these classes actually from the whole foundation of Swing? Most of
the other classes are purely widget implementations in Swing, that are
hard to override anyway. (Try customising the JFileChooser, I tried,
it's easier to write your own and get the icons used by the original
filechooser from the UIDefaults table)

Not the plaf stuff (yet) or javax.swing.text or the HTML support.