Re: wrong libgcc_s.so picked up in testsuite

On Feb 28, 2003, Michael Ritzert <ritzert at t-online dot de> wrote:

> The only thing that I don't quite understand is that /opt/gcc-3.2/lib is
> hardcoded, but all the libs are apparently still linked against the correct
> lib in the build tree. Otherwise I wouldn't expect to see the GCC_3.3 error.

Get shared libraries linked with stuff in the build tree such that,
after install, they find their dependencies in the install tree, is
one of the trickiest parts of libtool.  On some platforms, this can
only be accomplished by relinking at install time, after the
dependency is already installed.  On others, one can just tell the
linker where to look for dependencies at link and run time, and it
will just work.  Then, if you use the library in the build tree, it
gets linked on demand.  My recollection of whether libtool actually
does on-demand linking of shared libraries for in-build-tree execution
is a bit fuzzy, but that's the general idea, and I suppose this helps
explain how this stuff can work.

Red Hat GCC Developer                 aoliva at {redhat dot com, gcc.gnu.org}
CS PhD student at IC-Unicamp        oliva at {lsd dot ic dot unicamp dot br, gnu.org}