From: Øyvind Harboe [mailto:oyvind dot harboe at zylin dot com]
Sent: Wednesday, February 26, 2003 12:16 PM
To: Julia Smith; java at gcc dot gnu dot org
Subject: RE: attempt to send plain text email.

> I'm afraid the build instructions are incorrect or
> incomplete. Is there no distribution for win2k that is at
> 3.3.2 I can use?

Mohan has done some excellent work in this regard:

http://www.thisiscool.com/gcc33_mingw.htm

Without it, I wouldn't be testing GCJ 3.3 against my app.

I currently deploy my app compiled with GCJ 3.2(MinGW), since
it has more testing milage and there is an outstanding
garbage collection issue that is being worked out w/GCJ 3.3.

>I really don't want to spend my time
> hassling with making the compiler. It takes a couple of hours
> to build and find out if anything will work.
>
> I need to get work done.
>
> Any help would be appreciated.

I don't think GCJ 3.3 is for you unless you are able to set aside
some time for opensource community work. Its a marvellous piece of
software, but its not done yet. Although I haven't compiled GCJ yet,
I have found half a dozen issues that I've worked through + posted
my findings. The community has been quite responsive, so it is
a rewarding experience.

I tried http://www.excelsior-usa.com JET product, and at the time
it seemed to work straight out of the box, e.g. they have JRE 1.4
support. Perhaps that is a better alternative for you?

Øyvind