SV: generic type support

=?iso-8859-1?Q?=D8yvind=5FHarboe?= writes:

 > Why do we have bytecodes at all?
 >
 > - Less work happens on deployment machine

That's only relevant if your byte compiler is simple and small.  As
soon as you start doing heavyweight optimizations the extra overhead
of parsing source disappears into the noise.

JIT compilers are an excellent technology, as long as they are fairly
small and fast.  IBM has done an excellent job in this regard.

The advantage of using gcj is that we can utilize the technology that
is already used to compiler other languages.  When someone contributes
a new optimization for C, we get to benefit too.  Also, we get new
ports almost for free.  Our current problem is that we don't have some
optimizations that could make a big difference.  That's simply because
no-one has had the time to do them.