Re: generic type support

Andrew> I was thinking of writing a parser from scratch.

I've been thinking about that too.

I've also thought about kidnapping Mark Mitchell and hypnotizing him
to prefer Java to C++.

Andrew> However, after the reception the new C++ parser received, I'm
Andrew> not sure.  In particular, accurate diagnostic messages and
Andrew> good error recovery are tricky to get right, and any reduction
Andrew> in the quality of error messages would be treated as a
Andrew> regression, even if the perser was otherwise much better.

In our case, it seems like improved correctness would trump that.
Plus, it's a low bar to start with.  There have been multiple PRs
where gcj would ICE while trying to print an error message.  I think
there is one like that open right now.  As long as we can flush stderr
before crashing, we're ahead of the game.  :-)