Re: Demangling of method names and addr2line/c++filt

Andrew> Addr2line is broken -- it should do whatever is appropriate to
Andrew> the default naming convention on the platform.  So, if gcc
Andrew> doesn't need a special flag to make it add underscores,
Andrew> addr2line should be able to demangle without needing a special
Andrew> flag either.

That's how it seems to me, too.  I'm not opposed to working around
this in libgcj somehow, but we must also file a binutils bug report.
Ranjit, could you do this?

 [ passing -n ]
Andrew> Perhaps so.  I can't help feeling, however, that there is a
Andrew> non-negligible probability that this will break some other
Andrew> platforms.

I have that suspicion, too, though no facts to back it.  Is it likely
that anybody would know?  Maybe some binutils hacker.

My preference would be to fix this in binutils.  That would be
especially effective if a new binutils release is planned for the near
future.

Ranjit> It does *not* seem to work properly w.r.t. demangling C++/Java
Ranjit> symbols though - both the "-C" and "--demangle=java" flags to
Ranjit> addr2line produce the wrong output for me (MinGW addr2line
Ranjit> version 2.13.90 20021005).

Sounds like another binutils bug to me.  Ranjit, could you report this
as well?

Ranjit> (To complicate matters for me, I have found c++filt in *both* GCC
Ranjit> and binutils and the GCC c++filt works best, at least with
Ranjit> respect to Java.  Weird.)

It's a silly, but longstanding, situation.