VolanoMark findings

Anthony Green writes:
 > I recently retried building the VolanoMark benchmark found here:
 > http://www.volano.com/brenchmarks.html .
 >
 > The good news is that it finally builds, and I closed the case against
 > this problem.  I have no idea what the magic fix was.  IIRC the compiler
 > couldn't handle the exception regions in the obfuscated class files.
 >
 > The bad news is that IBM's JDK is twice as fast on this benchmark than
 > an optimized gcj build.

That's the same as I measured with Embedded CaffieneMark.

 > My 2.3 GHz P4 gives IBM's 1.4 JDK a score of 12058, while we come
 > in at half that: 6040.
 >
 > I'm hoping that this may be mostly accounted for bugs.  Unfortunately,
 > the VolanoMark is only distributed in .class form, so figuring this out
 > may take some doing.

We already know what IBM do to get this perfomance:

http://www.research.ibm.com/journal/sj/391/suganuma.html

* Method inlining.  We do that, but only in special cases.

* Exception check elimination.  We don't do that.

* Common subexpression elimination.  We that.

* Removal of initialization checks.

* Removal of synchronization.