Re: reduce libgcj building time

Tom Tromey wrote:
I keep a full build tree around at all times.  Rebuilds are usually
quicker, though still not so fast as I would like.
Ya, sometimes you need to rebuild completely though. Especially when you don't know what's happening. I usually do it the same. But even linking takes 20'.

Yes, but this switch doesn't do what you think it does.  It controls
which peers are built, not whether the platform-independent java.awt
code is built.  All the Java code is compiled unconditionally.
Likewise, --disable-java-net only disables the native code, not the
Java code.
Ah, ok. Thanks for clarification.
If you want to go this route, you could try hacking the Makefile to
remove the code you don't need.  However, that might not be as simple
as you'd like, since Java's class libraries are fairly interdependent.

Hm, I fear that I break here too much and I want to make sure that my things are working. So I keep a running system alive. :)

I think you could remove AWT, applet, and Swing fairly easily.
Removing java.net might be quite hard, since our bootstrap loader is a
URLClassLoader and since Class refers to java.net in other ways.
Net is not necessary to be removed, just thought that I don't need it.
The others I try later.

My main problem is the slow shell I have here. Compilation itself is ok, but invoking the libtool shell what ever makes it slow here. Also a limitation from the fs I think?

Thank you anyway,

Andreas