Re: A first...

On 09 Jan 2003 09:21:07 -0800
Anthony Green <green@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, 2003-01-09 at 08:41, Franco Catrin L. wrote:
> > >  I haven't tried compiling
> > > it to native code, but I expect that the results would be even
> > > better.
> >
> > How hard is to compile it with gcj?  I would like to make some tests
> > at home, but I don't have enough spare time to spend on "just a test".
> >

> It's pretty easy - I just built one.  Startup time is almost
> instantaneous, and it's using 15MB, most of which is shared.

That's really god considering that most of it is shared.  So, launching
another gcj compiled application will just increase this use a _bit_ more?

> > Another question: is there any plan to include SWT as a library in
> > future RedHat releases?,
>
> I don't work with the OS team, and can only offer my own personal
> opinions... FWIW, I believe that we would need to see a critical mass of
> useful applications (or a single overwhelmingly important one) using SWT
> before it would be considered a core part of the base distribution.
> That's why apps like sqladmin are important.

Well, currently sqladmin lacks of active developers.  I'm working on other
projects as well, and I just sometimes return to work a bit on sqladmin.
May be some of the guys here on this list are interested in helping the
project.

> > is the SWT's license enough to be considered?
>
> I believe the license (CPL 1.0) is liberal enough for inclusion in a
> free Linux distro.

Perfect, and what about Eclipse?

--
Franco Catrin L.