Re[2]: swt controlexample

Hello Erik,

EP> I can't get breakpoints in the middle of gcjlib's native code. I assume that
EP> is because gcjlib has not been compiled with debug information? I would
EP> really like a minGW-build with debug enabled and figure out why
EP> Class.forName() fails; beside other stuff I would like to investigate with gdb.

I'm pretty sure I tried that to no avail, I think it is a problem with MINGW GCJ.

EP> Who says that involved multithreading works properly on win32? I assume it
EP> doesn't, until I have witnessed that it does. Have inner classes already
EP> been fully fixed? Otherwise, the remainder of the source looks like vanilla
EP> java/swt with no apparent reason not to work.

I think the problem I had with the file manager was just with a weird event
loop... the thread stuff and inner classes seems to work fine.

EP> The installation is actually very easy. Unzip and go.

Well, yea... but you need to know what different things you have to unzip and
then apply the right patches, rebuild stuff, etc...

EP> I feel it's the output of gcj that will market gcj.
EP> There should be some really nifty swt applications "made in gcj-land"
EP> available for download. Or else, at least a few impressive screenshots of
EP> some complicated (even totally useless...) GUIs made in gcjonia. Then, we
EP> should have an article somewhere, mentioned on slashdot, extolling the
EP> virtues of this unholy combination (minGW,GCJ,SWT).

True, but then again it is really a question of coming up with all the gloss
to attract the impressionable... which doesn't make the task sound very
exciting... or maybe it does 8-)

EP> After that, GCJ may very well take off big time. There is simply no
EP> competitor for this: C++ has already the reputation of being too hard - it's
EP> a non-starter; VB6 is in the process of being abandoned; the JRE doesn't
EP> work in this context and drags around a huge download; DOT.NET has it's own
EP> download conundrum, is still unknown, carries the full brunt of the
EP> microsoft stigma, and has no installed base whatsoever protecting it. And
EP> then you have all these obscure languages, that are usually not better on
EP> any account, on top of being obscure. GCJ is definitely filling a void.

Could be, it does seem that in the last few months the people in this group
have managed to make GCJ into something quite special...

Cheers
JohnM