RE: Using gcj as an extension language

who aren't
supposed to be as technical as C programmers. (I'm somewhere in
between).

Well, the JDK will fail to attract ex-VB programmers; and it's got nothing
to do with fancy IDEs.

I personally don't even use Eclipse. I use Scintilla as an editor. I don't
need code completion; and a stacktrace is more than sufficient as a
replacement for a debugger. As far as I'm concerned, the commandline + Ant
work better than an IDE "project".

academic fields to get acquainted with O-O.

Why don't they ship these things to the academic fields only?

For example, if I need CORBA, to interoperate with a CORBA application, I'll
have a look at alternative implementations and I'll figure out by myself,
which community to ask questions to.

always use webstart or whatever. That's the jdk.

On WIN2K:

j2sdk1.4.1_01 		64.5 MB (67,718,833 bytes)
j2re1.4.1_01 		35.5 MB (37,319,372 bytes)

using gcj???

Well, a minGW-produced HelloWorld is 2 Mb stripped, and with upx I can
reduce it to 500 Kb. I can live with that. I hope they'll bring it down,
though.

> with GCJ what I would otherwise have to do with C++, including GUIs.

I can't program well in C++. I can wrestle myself through it. I do it 50
times slower than in Java; and I don't do it for fun; it's simply such a
repulsively complex language. Further, I may understand pointer arithmetic
to some extent, I certainly don't use it routinely as a building block in my
applications.

criticism, it's an observation). There is some bug somewhere in
serialization (another fundamental thing).

In Beschränkung der Meister.

If there weren't so many different JDK-inspired add-ons to debug and
support, I'm sure the resources on the project would be more than sufficient
to do an excellent job on the basics.