Re: Enhancement Request

On Monday, December 16, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Tom Tromey wrote:

"Jeff" == Jeff Sturm <jsturm@one-point.com> writes:
Jeff> Hmm... boehm-gc/include/Makefile.am has:
Jeff> AUTOMAKE_OPTIONS = foreign
Jeff> include_HEADERS = gc.h gc_backptr.h gc_local_alloc.h \
Jeff>   gc_pthread_redirects.h gc_cpp.h
Jeff> so aren't these installed anyway?

So it does.  Sigh -- I should research instead of believing the bug
report :-)

I looked, and the libffi headers are also installed.
Glenn, why do you think they aren't?  Did you build from source?
I downloaded and built GCC 3.2.1, and it didn't install anything named
'*ffi*' in the /usr/local/include directory, so I made the mistaken
assumption that neither libffi nor boehm-gc headers were installed.

I checked /usr/local/include, and 'gc.h' is definitely there, but I
don't see any libffi headers in /usr/local/include.  I forgot to
check /usr/local/lib to see if they're in there before I shut the
Linux box down for the night.  I didn't see any exports of 'ffi_common'
in the generated Makefile, though.

Jeff> (If so, that seems like a mistake, given that client code cannot
Jeff> easily tell how the collector library was configured.)

I agree.  I made a note to do this.

Tom
How about installing them in a subdirectory of 'gcj', next to the
'cni.h' file?

My goal here is to use gcj to build a Java add-in for the Portable.NET
implementation of C# and friends.  Portable.NET also uses libffi and
boehm-gc, so if I can get the two implementations to use the same GC
library, I can get proper garbage collection without resorting to
tricks like the ones RMI needs to use across servers...

Glenn Chambers
Toledo, OH