Re: Ahead of time compiler solutions

Philippe Laporte wrote:

1- GCJ (http://gcc.gnu.org/java/)

We could use GCJ as the complete solution but their AWT is not
completely OK yet.
My strong recommendation would be: GCJ, using the Classpath
AWT implementation, compiled to shared libraries.

I won't guarantee that is this the fastest approach to something
that more-or-less works, but I'm fairly confident that this is
the fastest approach to something maintainable and useful.
The big "intangible" is that there is a *lot* of interest
in having a solid gcj-based Java implementation that works
with Mozilla, so once you have something that works 90%
you'll have a lot of people helping you.  Even more important
is that it will simplify your maintainance, because any
necessary patches are very likely to be accepted by the
GCJ and Mozilla maintainers, respectively.  For example, I'm
sure Red Hat and other GNU/Linux distributors would love to have
a good Free Java applet solution based on GCJ; if someone did the
basic engineering, they would probably include it in their product,
and thus maintain it for you.
--
	--Per Bothner