Re: Ahead of time compiler solutions

Tom Tromey wrote:

Philippe> I'm new to the topic, but is the idea of a bridge interface
Philippe> between VMs and Ahead of time compilers crazy? Is it
Philippe> conceivable?

This is a different question.  We know it is possible, since libgcj
includes its own VM.

Bridging to an arbitrary VM could perhaps be done by generating code
that calls out to JNI.  That would probably eliminate your performance
gains from compilation.

I gave a second thought to thid idea and it turns out quite convenient.

So how much of an effort would be involved in having GCJ generate JNI code (obviously as an extra option etc).

My performance measure is space, not speed...:-)

I'd be very eager to get on this asap.

Best Regards,
--

Philippe Laporte