Re: .class code optimization

>>>>> "Adam" == Adam Megacz <gcj@lists.megacz.com> writes:

Andrew> Because, as far as we are concerned, there's no point.

Adam> Inlining methods within and across .class files makes a huge,
Adam> huge, huge difference if you're deploying to the Microsoft JVM.

It is probably easier to write a new tool that optimizes the .class
files directly than it would be to teach gcj how to do optimizations
before generating .class files.  This might even be true once the new
tree optimization code is complete; it is possible that SIMPLE won't
retain enough information, or will do too many transformations, for us
to generate bytecode after lowering.  We haven't pressed for SIMPLE to
preserve that information since optimizing bytecode hasn't seemed very
important.