Re: .class code optimization

Lapo Luchini <lapo@lapo.it> writes:
> Is there any specific reason .class produced by GCJ are no better
> (well, only slightly better in fact) that javac ones?

I don't think so.

> Shuoldn't dead code elimination and other optimization come
> automatical using GCC?

No, I was told that the bytecode backend isn't a "real" backend like
all the others; you also can't compile C++ code using the bytecode
backend as a target.

There is a program floating around the 'net called 'javago' that does
a class->class inlining transformation.  It causes *huge* speedups
for code running in the MSJVM (which does not do runtime inlining),
but doesn't noticably improve HotSpot performance.

  - a

--
"Through your rags I see your vanity"  -- Socrates