Re: Sequential build of libjava

Hi,

On Thu, 5 Sep 2002, Brad Lucier wrote:

> > fiddle with the commands which use MULTIDO, to change it temporarily
> > directly to the value, to which MULTIDO is actually set?
>
> I have no clue what this means.

It seems I was unclear in my mail where I explained where the -j1 message
comes from.  Try from the toplevel a "make all-target-libiberty" (no
matter if you already built it.  No need to make clean there).  You should
see that warning.

Ok, look e.g. into $(TARGET_DIR)/libiberty/Makefile.  Search for MULTIDO.
You should find the lines

MULTIDO = $(MAKE)
        @$(MULTIDO) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=all
        @$(MULTIDO) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=install
        @$(MULTIDO) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=install

Where instead of the '$(MAKE)' there may be a different string.  Now
replace the actual uses of $(MULTIDO) with that content.  E.g. my Makefile
then contained
        @$(MAKE) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=all
        @$(MAKE) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=install
        @$(MAKE) $(FLAGS_TO_PASS) multi-do DO=install

Then again do a "make all-target-libiberty" from the top level.  The -j1
warning should be gone (at least for the libiberty directory).  Now try to
do a make clean in it, and see, if it helped, in the sense, that you now
get parallel compiler runs (I use "top -i -d 0.1" to watch this).

If libiberty doesn't need enough compile time to see anything, do
something similar in libstdc++-v3.  I hope this helps.

Ciao,
Michael.