Garbage collection problem

Hi All:

I'm having issues with the garbage collection when running on a low
memory machine ( 64Mb ).  First, some benchmarks showing our program
running under: JDK1.3.1, current cvs gcj 3.1.1 and gcj 3.1.1 with
'GC_no_win32_dlls = TRUE;' set in the gc.

Here's the results - all times are in seconds :

System 1: Win2k SP2, 256Mb, P4 1.4Ghz

              Startup    Login     Logout

JDK1.3.1        9          19        2
gcj+gc mod      5          18        1
gcj 3.1.1      18          44       15

System 2: WinME, 64Mb, AMD Duron 700Mhz

              Startup    Login     Logout

JDK1.3.1         32        71        17
gcj+gc mod       21       125        55
gcj 3.1.1        36       302       126

Startup:  time it took from starting the executable to the main menu
Login:    time from pressing the 'Start' button to fully logged in 3D world
Logout:   time from pressing 'Quit' button to being back at the main menu

I was very glad to see that when memory is avialble, the modified gcj
beat Sun's JDK in all of our performance tests.  Is there _anything_ I can
do to improve the performace on "low" (64Mb) memory systems?

I _really_ need to ship using the exe version of the client instead of
bundling in the JRE.

Also, is there any danger to setting 'GC_no_win32_dlls' to true?

Here's the options I'm using to compile:

i686-pc-mingw32-gcj \
  -finline-functions -fno-bounds-check -fno-store-check \
  -funroll-loops -fexpensive-optimizations \
  -static --static \
  -mcpu=pentium -fomit-frame-pointer \
  --main=muse.client.gcjMain -o /tmp/saMuse.exe \

Are there any other flags I can add to squeeze out any more performance?

Thanks for any help!

	Adam

P.S. I'll be able to add a 'Done with GCJ' description in 2 weeks after
our program begins being promoted as a free download for a TV show.