Re: change of libgcj soname for gcc-3.2?

Matthias Klose wrote:

Now that libgcj has to use the new g++ ABI, should the shared object
name of the libgcj library be changed from 3 to 4?

In general we should change the soname for each major release because simple evolution of classes breaks binary compatibility with the current ABI. In this case we havn't made any changes (in libgcj) which would break binary compatibility, and I'm not sure if the C++ ABI changes between 3.1 and 3.2 will affect us. If binary compatibility has been broken, then the soname should be incremented. If not, it should remain the same.

regards

Bryce.