RE: Max Heap Size on Itanium

> From: Markus Bernhardt [mailto:mbernhardt@swsgmbh.de]

> Now, if I am using the native code interface,
> is it possible to map for example 10 GB of
> shared memory to the process and access
> it with the native code.

That should be fine.

If you later port to other platforms, you may want to consider that on some platforms the garbage collector will (as a result of the way it locates dynamic libraries) trace from R/W mapped files and the like.  Thus you may have to explicitly tell it not to trace from this 10GB region, assuming you don't store any Java pointers there.  On Linux such regions are not traced by default.

With very large heaps or root sets and a multiprocessor Linux/(X86,IA64) target, I recommed building gcj3.1+ with --enable-parallel-mark.

Hans