What is the status for support for java on mips ?

Hello there,

We have here some DECstation 5000/120 (MIPS R3000, Debian/Linux/mipsel)
and a SGI O2 (MIPS R10000, Irix 6.3) running in our office.

We need/want to get Java running on these machines, but it only seems
that there is just Sun's JDK 1.2.2 for the SGI O2 available if at all.

I searched the mailing list and it seems you can get gcj/gij running on
the SGI O2 (increasing the command line length, --enable-libgcj ...). What
is the current state ? Will this trick work and result in a working
gcj/gij ?

I also read that Linux/mips has some problems with boehm-gc and therefore
gcj/gij won't work. Does this also affect Linux/mispel (little endian
mips) ?
At least Debian/linux still doesn't have packages for the mips and mipsel
platforms. So what's the current state ?

Thanks alot, Max