dedoc success with gcj (kind of)

I'm just writing to report that I managed to compile and
run DeDoc[1] (the program which translates JavaDoc HTML
documentation into Java source/interface code) with GCJ 3.1.
I also ran it to translate the whole JDK 1.4 documentation
(about 84 MB HTML docs), resulting in more than 2500 source
files (to a total of 4 MB) being generated.

This means that OpenXML 1.2 was also compiled with gcj. I had
to remove one line in OpenXML (because of java/6818), and I had
to fix java.util.StringTokenizer in one place (due to java/6820).
And I had to do some Makefile tweaking due to libgcj/6819. Other
than that, no major changes were necessary.

The good news is that the output of DeDoc compiled with GCJ
is the same as when compiled with the IBM JDK 1.3.1.
The bad news is that the IBM JDK 1.3.1 was about 4.3 times
faster (only counting user time). Unfortunately I wasn't
able to compile with GCJ with optimization enabled
(see java/6823).

Oskar Liljeblad (oskar@osk.mine.nu)

[1] http://www.student.lu.se/~nbi98oli/src/dedoc-0.14.tar.gz