Debian GNU/Linux [Fwd: Java Policy.]

Hi,

I am thinking about some constructive suggestions for the new Debian
Java policy. As written it does not really encourage people to compile
programs written in java with gcj.

Note that this is something that would become policy for the next
version of Debian after woody (Debian GNU/Linux 3.0) which is not even
released yet. So there is no real hurry. gcc 3.2 (or even gcc 3.3) might
well be out before the next Debian release. Listening to their needs
might give us some ideas on what packages/features we should concentrate
for the next release.

You might also be interested in the complete thread starting at
http://lists.debian.org/debian-java/2002/debian-java-200205/msg00052.html

Please be gentle to them. Some people don't really know about java
outside the Sun universe. And the suggestion of using an ahead-of-time
compiler such as gcj is often not really understood/appreciated.

Cheers,

Mark
--- Begin Message ---
Hi

When we now have (almost) got woody out of the door I think it
is time to give the Proposed Java Policy a more official state
(i.e. not proposed anymore).

It is available at:

http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/
The actual policy is avalable at:
http://people.debian.org/~opal/java/policy.html/policy.html

Some of it have to be rewritten so it states that it is no
longer a proposed policy (when it is accepted).

It anyone have comments on it please let me know.

Regards,

// Ola

/  opal@debian.org                     Björnkärrsgatan 5 A.11   \
|  opal@lysator.liu.se                 584 36 LINKÖPING         |
|  +46 (0)13-17 69 83                  +46 (0)70-332 1551       |
|  http://www.opal.dhs.org             UIN/icq: 4912500         |