Re: Newbie Questions

On Wed, 5 Jan 2000, Clemens Eisserer wrote:
> When I heard first time about gjc and libgjc a was very excited about
> it. But I dont know what I can really do with it.

You mean "gcj" and "libgcj".

> I heard it is nearly compatible with Java-1.1.8 (without Gui-Stuff...),

Right.  In fact much of 1.2 and later are there, but AWT is not yet
supported (volunteers to test/implement are needed).

> but can I really make native apps with it, like any C++ app.

gcj compiles to native object code, like gcc/g++.  It also produces
bytecode like javac.

> Is there nothing like a runtime, everything nativly? That would be sooo
> cool....

Of course there is a runtime, consisting of the core java.* classes,
garbage collector and so forth.  However unlike Sun's VM, the bytecode
interpreter is optional.

> Is it possible to link static with libgjc , so that the user dont need
> to install it.(Of cource there will be choice...)

Yes, with caveats.  Some gcj users are doing that, for the reason you
gave.  However, static builds tend to be large, because they include most
of the runtime.

> Is there a garbage-collector avaible? And how is that realized, I thing
> there is no runtime-enviroment...

The included GC library is the Boehm-Demers-Weiser conservative collector.
(See http://www.hpl.hp.com/personal/Hans_Boehm/gc/ for details on the GC
library.)

> Will all java-classes that are included in my file (e.g. java.io.*)
>  compiled nativly?

Yes, most of java.* is included in libgcj and compiled natively.  If you
give it a try, feel free to report problems to this list.

> Is gjc a "dead" or lacy project, or is there much traffic on it?

It's actively maintained.   All releases of the GNU Compiler Collection
(GCC) since 3.0 include gcj.  Your best bet is the 3.1 release, due out
shortly.

Jeff