Re: Patch: FYI: gcj3.1 status update

On Fri, 5 Apr 2002, Andrew Haley wrote:
> I did, and it failed in the way I expected: it ran out of file
> handles.  This is because our implementation of System.gc() doesn't
> actually work.  Well, that's not true -- it does work eventually, but
> it returns before garbage collection is complete.

Same with runFinalization BTW, all it does it notify the finalizer thread,
not guarantee it has completed.

> This is a pretty important bug to fix, in my opinion, because it
> critically affects web servers.

That surprises me, to be honest.  The server code I've worked with seems
to rely on explicit close for all fd's.  The reason has to do with more
than resource reclamation: it flushes the buffers and the socket close is
often part of the protocol handshake (e.g. HTTP response with no content
length nor transfer encoding).

Jeff