Re: libjava status on Solaris 8/Intel and IRIX 6.5

Bryce McKinlay writes:

 > > > I disagree. We should not change CNI.
 > >
 > >Because?
 >
 > We shouldn't make such a major, incompatible change to the CNI syntax
 > because CNI is simple and works very well.

Oh right, it's not that you've something against the syntax or
whatever, just that the gain isn't worth the pain of changing.  I see
what you mean.

 > But, I accept that something needs to be done if we really want to
 > support MMU-less systems. Why wouldn't overloading operator "->"
 > for Java types work?

I don't think so, because a C++ pointer to a type is not part of the
type.

 > > > As for platforms without memory management, well Java just isn't an
 > > > appropriate language.
 > >
 > >That's outrageous.
 > >
 > Not as outrageous as using -fcheck-references on a platform that has
 > perfectly good hardware support for detecting null references! OK, I'll
 > retract that comment, but please lets keep -fcheck-references only for
 > platforms that really need it.

Oh, of course.  The nice thing about smart pointers is that in most
cases the code generated would be exactly the same, and
-fcheck-references only gets used on appropriate platforms.