Re: libjava status on Solaris 8/Intel and IRIX 6.5

Andrew Haley wrote:

> > >Even with this I think it makes sense for us to make the change.  It
> > >will take a lot of time and will be hard to maintain, but it seems
> > >necessary.  I'd prefer to change g++, but I'd guess that will be hard
> > >to sell.
> >
> > I disagree. We should not change CNI.
>
>Because?

We shouldn't make such a major, incompatible change to the CNI syntax
because CNI is simple and works very well. But, I accept that something
needs to be done if we really want to support MMU-less systems. Why
wouldn't overloading operator "->" for Java types work?

> > As for platforms without memory management, well Java just isn't an
> > appropriate language.
>
>That's outrageous.

Not as outrageous as using -fcheck-references on a platform that has
perfectly good hardware support for detecting null references! OK, I'll
retract that comment, but please lets keep -fcheck-references only for
platforms that really need it.

regards

Bryce.