Re: i386-*-freebsd* --enable-libgcj bootstrap broken within last week

On Mar 19, 2002, Loren James Rittle <rittle@latour.rsch.comm.mot.com> wrote:

> In libjava/Makefile, we have: ``THREADLIBS = -pthread'', thus until
> the above patch, all executables linked from libjava/Makefile got the
> command line option we need to build multithreaded executables (really
> any executable that references pthread_* symbols in a non-weak
> fashion).  With the above patch, we lose it.

Oops.  I think all I saw in my copy of THREADLIBS was -lpthread, which
is something that can safely be discarded.

How about adding THREAD_LDFLAGS, that would contain the -pthread flag
when appropriate, so as to prevent me from making this same mistake
again in the future?

> Do I need to teach libtool that -pthread is a proper, if artificial,
> library specification flag on FreeBSD 4?

I'm pretty sure libtool already supports some form of thread-aware
flag (-thread-safe), that would be mapped to whatever
-pthread-equivalent flag is supported on a platform, but I don't see
anywhere in libtool where the platform-specific flag is set, so it is
currently a do-nothing flag, that I'd be inclined to remove.

Would you be willing to introduce THREAD_LDFLAGS, or would you like me
to add this to my LINO (*) to-do list?

(*) Last In, Never Out :-)